2013 marks over 28 years of helping hundreds of indigent patients who need surgery and care very much. In addition, Operation We Care donates local ls much needed equipment, anesthesia equipment, anesthetic agents, antibiotics, pain medicines, surgical supplies, surgical instruments and OR tables and stretchers as well as modern hospital beds to the host hospitals each year.
This mission is sponsored through the coordination of the Rotary Foundation/Rotary International District 6690 with Clubs like Gallipolis leading along with Jackson, Ironton, West Lafayette and Middleport-Pomeroy and Dover Rotary Club in State of Delaware as well as a number of private donations.
Local physicians and surgeons pre-screen to 100 major cases and 200 minor cases. As always, there will be plenty of Cleft Palate and Cleft Lips. One interesting case that I was told recently is a case of Adamantinoma, Cancer of the Jaw, and will take the team expertise of our plastic surgeon, general-vascular surgeon, and dental surgeon. Other cases include breast cancer, gall bladder stones, prostate, kidney stones and plenty of thyroid tumors.
The 2013 “Operation We Care” will be performed in the A. Rodríguez Memorial Medical Center, Marikina, metro Manila. This marks the second time that OWC has been invited, as this was the venue for the 2010 mission. The 2013 medical mission is made possible through the invitation of the following hosts in the Philippines:
- Lirio Sandoval, District Governor of Rotary International District 3800, Philippines.
- Edsel V. Malaya, MD., president of the Rotary Club of Marikina
- Del de Guzman, City Mayor of Marikina
- Ricardo D.G.Iillistre, MD., Medical Director of the A. Rodríguez Memorial Medical Center
- Val A. Barcinal, MD., mission coordinator and main contact.
- 14 rotary club presidents
Our USA partners include:
- Michael Brown, District Governor of Rotary International District 6690, USA.
- Jodie McCalla, President of the Gallipolis Rotary Club
- Greg Ervin, President, Rotary Club of Jackson
- John Boyd, President, Ironton Rotary Club
- Jay Davis, President, West Lafayette Rotary Club
- Mel P. Simon, PDG, Rotary District 6690 and coordinator and chair for OWC
- Rafael A. Zaragoza, MD., Past President, Dover Rotary Club, Dover, DE.
Partnership of the these Rotary leaders, Rotary Clubs and Rotary Districts from two countries in the Philippines and the US create a dynamic joint venture. All funds raised are used 100% for patient services and are matched by The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International. The next medical mission will take place February 10-16, 2013 at the A. Rodríguez Memorial Medical Center, Marikina, Metro Manila, Philippines.
These projects are only possible through the generous help of individuals, Rotary Clubs, Rotary District 6690 all in partnership with Rotary International and the Rotary Foundation. Without this support and matching grants, our vision and objectives would not be reached.
It is important to stress that 100% of funds donated to this outreach go to providing medicines, supplies, and equipment to the clinics we serve. In addition, every dollar is matched by the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International.
Please take a few minutes and click on the different sections to see some photos of past missions and to learn about Operation We Care, how it is funded and the future plans to expand this important medical mission.